- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp dried chopped thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaf
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste mixed with 3/4 cup water 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
If the quinoa is not pre-rinsed, soak the quinoa for 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly and drain well. Heat the oil on medium-high in a Dutch oven or large soup pot. Add the celery, both bell peppers, and onion, and cook stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables soften a little. Add the jalapeno and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the spices and herbs, and cook for 1 minute.
Add the water, beans, tomato sauce mixed with water and quinoa, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
Stir in Worcestershire sauce, taste and adjust for flavor.
Serve hot in big bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.