- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, grated or crushed
- 8 cups kale, trimmed, cleaned, and rough chopped 2 cans (15 oz size) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh Parmesan cheese shavings for garnish
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, put olive oil, celery, and onion, and cook, stirring often, until celery and onion starts to soften. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Dump in the kale and stir until it starts to wilt.
Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Bring stew just to a boil, then quickly reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes.
Serve immediately in soup bowls. If Parmesan cheese is on your diet, shave a few curls on top of each bowl of soup.